The figures below are intended to give you an estimate of the fee’s you should expect when Aubrey Isaacson Solicitors assist you with administrating an estate.
In order to understand what fee’s you will pay you will need to know “how to value the estate”
The ‘Estate Value’ specified in the tables below will be the gross estate at the date of death.
For the purposes of the calculation, the ‘gross estate’ is the gross estate in the UK passing by Will or the Intestacy Rules. The calculation does not include the value of any assets held in joint names that pass by survivorship for example the family home, or the value of any assets held overseas.
We use the figures included in the inheritance tax return. We will let you have details when the valuations have been ascertained.
If the estate is valued at less than £325,000, you can expect to pay the following fixed fee. Please note the exclusions in this fee.
|Estate Value||Our Fees|
|£0 – £325,000||Fixed fee – £750 to £2500 (Excluding VAT)|
|£325,000 to £500,000||Fixed fee – £1250 to £3500 (Excluding VAT)|
For the administration of an estate that is valued more than £500000 we charge on a time basis.
What is not included in your administration service
Should any work outside the scope of the ‘Full administration service’ be required, a charge will be made by reference to an hourly rate of £250 per hour. The rate you will pay depends on the seniority and expertise of the Solicitor that is helping you. For an accurate figure, please do not hesitate to contact us so we can advise further.
- Registering the death
- Arranging the funeral
- The administration of any assets situated outside of England and Wales.
- Work arising from gifts or other transfers e.g. into Trust made by the deceased during lifetime.
- The administration of an estate that is insolvent, i.e. where there are not enough assets in the estate to pay all the debts and liabilities of the estate
Work involved in finding missing beneficiaries or executors.
- Dealing with any disputes in connection with the estate. Examples of this are a claim against the estate by a creditor, a claim against the estate by an individual who believes adequate provision has not been made for them, a challenge to the validity of the Will by any party, any dispute arising between the executors, administrators, trustees or beneficiaries of the Will, any request for information made by, or claim brought by, the Department for Work & Pensions, any claim brought by HM Revenue & Customs.
- Conveyancing which includes dealing with the sale or transfer of any property or properties in the estate.
- Work that does not relate to the administration of the estate, but is work on behalf of another party. Examples of this are administration of any trust created under the Will or the administration or winding up of any lifetime trusts or Will trusts by which the deceased was a trustee, beneficiary or potential beneficiary.
- Work involving a business or company that is properly chargeable to that business or company.
- Work carried out to rectify or vary a Will or the intestacy rules for the purposes of obtaining a Grant of Representation, providing tax advantages or altering beneficial entitlement.
In cases where the full administration of the estate has been particularly straightforward by comparison to the value of the estate, then it may be appropriate to reduce our fees. We will review this at the end of the administration of the estate and any reduction in the fee will be entirely at our discretion.
There may be occasions when the full administration of the estate is likely to be unusually time-consuming for example where there are a large number of legacies or beneficiaries, farming or business interests or unusual assets. In this case, the fixed fees may not be appropriate and an alternative charging structure would be discussed and agreed with you at the earliest opportunity.
We also offer a more limited service, where you only require assistance with application for a Grant of Representation, as follows:
All prices exclude VAT
LIMITED SERVICE FIXED FEE
- Obtaining a Grant of Representation only - (To include completing the oath and HMRC ‘short’ (IHT 205) tax form using complete information supplied by you) - £950
- Obtaining a Grant of Representation only - (To include completing the probate application and HMRC ‘short’ (IHT 205) tax form and claiming transferable nil rate band using complete information supplied by you) - £1,250
- Obtaining a Grant of Representation only- (To include completing the probate application and HMRC ‘long’ (IHT 400) tax form using complete information supplied by you) - £2,500
- Obtaining a Grant of Representation only - (To include completing the probate application and HMRC ‘long’ (IHT 400) tax form and claiming transferable nil rate band and/or residence nil rate band and/or transferable residence nil rate using complete information supplied by you) - £3,500
Please note our Limited Service is execution only using complete information supplied by you. Should any work outside the scope of the service be required a charge will be made by reference to an hourly rate details of which will be supplied by the person helping you.